Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Crossing the Street

Whenever I had to do this in Vietnam, my blood pressure immediately raised 10 notches. When reading our guide book before our arrival, it said "You will always remember the first time you crossed a street in Vietnam"...no joke.

As Matt and I take our first venture out onto the streets of Saigon, we attempt our first crossing. Now, the pedestrian green "walk" sign is flashing, so, I just start waltzing right across the street, when suddenly a Vietnamese woman takes a right turn without stopping, plowing right into me. I literally almost tore the 4 foot woman off her bike, it was such an awkard collision (probably would have been hilarious to watch on a hidden camera).

Luckily neither the woman or I got hurt, but I got the feeling she was used to running over westerners on a daily basis as she did not flinch once throughout the whole ordeal. But I literally was so scared I had to do a shuffle across the street and use Matt as shield for the rest of the trip. So stressful!

No comments:

Post a Comment