Monday, September 20, 2010

The Greek Islands

I know this may seem a bit cheesy, but I really can't explain how amazing our trip to the Greek Islands was, especially Santorini, so I'll try and take a stab at it-

The night before we left for Greece, Matt and I were packing and watching tv, some special on the magician Chris Angel was on. He was doing his usual stunt, hypnotizing people on the streets of Las Vegas and levitating them and what not. Anyways, as he started the act, he told each person to think of the happiest moment in their lives. Now, this got me thinking, "what would be the happiest moment in my life?". I mean, don't get me wrong, I've been very blessed and have had many great moments in my life. But for some reason I couldn't pick out "the one".

Then it happened- It was exactly a week later. I was riding with Matt on the little ATV we had rented. We were driving along the cliffs of Santorini looking down onto the ocean during sunset. I literally could not wipe the smile off my face if I tried. It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen in my life. So, there it was, "the happiest moment of my life"... have you booked your flight yet? ha!


Our whole visit was amazing. We spent 4 nights in Mykonos and 4 in Santorini. Both islands are beautiful, but Mykonos is known as the "party island" and that's exactly what people go there to do, so we preferred Santorini more.

Santorini is an island literally set on top of a caldera right across from a volcano. The villages are all a stunning white and built into the cliffs of the caldera, giving you amazing views of the sunset. The island also has black sand beaches and the water is the bluest I've ever seen. Plus, Santorini is known as the "wine island" of Greece and has a dozen of great wineries all around the island.


By reccommendation of our guesthouse, we visited the Santo Winery. Their wines are amazing, mostly whites, and are only 2 euro for a tasting, which is basically a glass of wine (no skimping here!). The winery is also built into the cliffs of the caldera giving amazing views onto the volcano and the rest of the island. Best. Sunset. Ever.

View and sunset from the winery...


The Greek Islands were an amazing end to our Europe leg...now on to Asia!



No comments:

Post a Comment