Friday, June 4, 2010

Do you think this would look good on me?


This week my main mission was to call my doctor and get all the prescriptions I would need for the Southeast Asia portion of our trip. I already had the Typhoid vaccine and my Hep A shot 2 years ago, so I was excited that the anti-malaria pills would be my only large expense. WRONG! Make that a HUGE expense.

I knew the prescription would be expensive from a previous trip I had taken (a months supply was $80), so I was ready to pay something around $200 since I need a two months supply.

"How much is the damage?” I ask.

"$195" says the pharmacist.

Sounds about right I think and whip out my credit card.

Just as I'm about the swipe, the pharmacist mumbles, "You can come back in a month to pick up your refill."

"What refill?!” I asked in complete confusion. I already had the two months, what is she talking about?

"Your insurance only covers a one month's supply at a time, so you'll have to come back in a month to get a refill for the second month."

Do the math...that's right, $400 total!!

So, Malarone or Malaria? I am starting to seriously consider taking my risks with the latter.

Anyone have any experience with this? We'll be visiting Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines...think I can make it with only a one month supply?

Also, has anyone taken Mefloquine? It's cheaper and this is what Matt is taking, but the side effects look horrible (depression, anxiety, paranoia, no thanks!)

1 comment:

  1. I think the net would look amazing on you...omg I wish I could have seen your face when you heard about the pills...I am not sure about them because I have never taken them but maybe your sister knows? Crazy! Can't wait to keep reading :)

    ReplyDelete